A network consists of two or more computers that are linked in order to share resources,exchange files or allow electronic communications.
Based on Medium:
Computer network could be of two types
- Wired Network
- Wireless Network
Network Types Based on Medium:
use cables, Although two computers can be directly wired to each other using a cable, wired networks generally also require central devices like hub.
WLAN technologies all follow wireless communication without physical medium without cables.
Network Types Based on Architecture:
1-Computer networks may be classified according to the functional relationships which exist among the elements of the network.
There are two configurations of computer networks
1-Client / Server architecture
2-Peer to Peer architecture
Client / Server Architecture:
1-Files are stored on a centralized , high speed file server PC that is made available to client PC’s.
2-Client’s primary applications and files are stored in a common location.
Peer to Peer Architecture:
1-Allows two or more PC’s to pool there resources together.
2-Individual resources like disk drives,CD-ROM drives, and even printers are transformed into shared collective resources that are accessible from every PC.
3-Each computer in such a network is part server and part client.
4-It means each part on the network is free to share its own resources.
Network Types Based on Area:
1-Personal Area Network (PAN)
2-Local Area Network (LAN)
3-Campus Area Network (CAN)
4-Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
5-Wide Area Network (WAN)
6-Storage Area Network (SAN)
This is a type of network used to connect computer devices which are close to one person.
Examples: Printers , fax machines , telephones , scanners etc
- This is type of network used to cover a small physical area like a home, a school, a small group of buildings
- It is a computer network made by the combination of LAN within specific area.
- It is larger than LAN but smaller than WAN.
- Example: University campus
- It is a network that connects two or more CAN together but does not extend the boundaries of the city.
- Example:Connecting all the franchises of a mobile company connecting all the headquarters.
- It is a network which covers a broad geographical area.
- It’s communication links extends over the boundaries of cities regions and countries.
A storage area network is an architecture to attach storage devices to servers in such a way that the devices appear as locally to the operating system.
Understanding and Identifying Primary memory